Scenic Highway 30A in Florida offers over 18 miles of beauty, beach and sugar white sand. Known simply as 30A, this area has become popular for its relaxing vacations encompassing 12 beach communities. Visitors will find plenty to do with four state parks and many coastal dune lakes. It's the perfect place to bring the family for a kid-friendly retreat or for a week-long romantic getaway with just the adults.
At Destin Getaways, we have all the local 30A secrets, like where to stay, what to do and when to go. Read on for the complete guide to 30A Destin, and feel free to contact our local experts with any questions you have!
Beach Communities Along Highway 30A
- Alys Beach - Alys is a luxury town, and its worth riding through on bikes just to see the architecture
- Carillon Beach - Carillon Beach is right by Camp Helen State Park, Powell Lake and Lake Powell Park - making it the perfect day trip for nature lovers
- Dune Allen - Home to Stinky's Fish Camp, a must-eat restaurant
- Grayton Beach - Definately stop by Grayton if you're looking to swim and sunbathe at a pristine beach
- Inlet Beach - Inlet beach is ideal if you're looking for relaxation and a taste of local life, as its relatively untouched compared to the rest of the beach communities
- Rosemary Beach - Grab some bikes and take a romantic ride though this adorable, cozy town - perfect for a date, or dare we say... a proposal
- Santa Rosa Beach - Santa Rosa is a classic 30A stopoff, with historic landmarks like Eden Gardens State Park
- Seacrest Beach - Eco enthusiasts will love strolling through Seacrest and stopping into one of the many cafes for a latte
- Seagrove Beach - Seagrove Beach is for those looking for a laid back experience with all the classics - check out two coastal dune lakes and a state park
- Seaside - Seaside was designed with New Urbanism in mind, so design and historian lovers will absolutely want to stopoff here
- WaterColor - Take a day trip to WaterColor and experience Point Washington State Forest, Western Lake and luxury spas
- WaterSound - WaterSound is for those who like long talks on the boardwalk and relaxing golfing trips
Planning the Ultimate 30A Florida Vacation
Planning a 30A Florida vacation is easy and can be really affordable if you get a head start. Pick the best time to explore the area depending on the activities your family is most interested in. Make an itinerary so you don't miss out on any of the fun activities and find the vacation rental to best match your plans.
When to Plan a 30A Vacation
The 30A area offers opportunities for fun year round. You can expect highs in the 70's from March through October each year, with the heat peaking from June to September. The coldest months of the year are in December, January and February, but they still offer highs in the 60's and lows in the 40's. If you're a beach bum then you may want to choose one of the warmer months, while outdoor enthusiasts can find relief from the sun in some of the cooler months.
What to do When Vacationing in the 30A Area
- Topsail Hill Preserve State Park - Topsail Hill Preserve State Park is just one of the four state parks in the 30A area, but it's one of our favorites. Topsail Hill Preserve State Park is home to three of the area Coastal Dune Lakes, and it offers several dunes that are over 20 feet tall. Fishing is great at Topsail, and birders and hikers will especially enjoy this area.
- 30A Bike Trail - The 30A Bike Trail, also known as the Timpoochee Trail, is a 19 mile stretch of paved bike path that parallels 30A. The trail offers plenty of areas to stop and enjoy the water, weather and views. If you're an avid biker you can do the whole stretch in a day, or you can do a small portion with your family.
- Coastal Dune Lakes - Coastal Dune Lakes are an extremely rare phenomenon, making their abundant presence in the 30A area a special treat. These shallow and irregularly shaped lakes are home to a diverse population of fish and birds. What makes them more interesting is that they are part salt water and part fresh water! Nature lovers will enjoy this rare habitat and all the wildlife that accompanies it.
Where to Stay Along 30A in Florida
With so many beautiful beaches along 30A, we definately recommend exploring up and down the coast. Find the perfect vacation rental and plan day trips to the area beaches and state parks. Below are our top three recommendations for 30A Vacation Rentals.